Want to make something simple for Christmas? Why not try Applesauce Crumb Cake with Cinnamon courtesy of my new favorite blog Gulten-Free Goddess.
Cooking gluten free can be easy and simple, its really all about finding the prefect ingredients and doing your research. I’ve had a lot of fun recently learning all about the gluten free lifestyle and the Gluten-Free Goddess blog is the perfect place to help you through it!
Applesauce Crumb Cake Recipe with Cinnamon
Recipe courtesy of the Gluten-Free Goddess. Yield: 10-12 slices
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 cup hazelnut, chestnut or almond flour
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 organic free-range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup expeller pressed canola oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic applesauce
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9-inch deep cake pan or baking dish with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine the dry ingredients: sorghum flour, potato starch, hazelnut flour, brown sugar, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add in the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- Add in the applesauce and beat by hand to mix the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth it out to the edges.
- Make the topping combining the brown sugar, sorghum flour, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Mix with a fork until sandy textured.
- Spread the crumb topping on the batter. Lightly press down.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40 minutes, then loosely tent a piece of foil over the top to prevent the topping from over-browning. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until the center of the cake is firm and a wooden pick inserted in the middle emerges clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- Delicious and fragrant with spices served warm. Careful- it will be a bit fragile when warm.
- This lovely cinnamon-spiced cake may be baked the night before, cooled, and wrapped for the next morning.
- Slice, wrap in foil, and freeze uneaten cake slices in a freezer bag.
Photo and recipe courtesy of the Gulten-Free Goddess.