Lately I’ve been on the search for the perfect Fried Egg Sandwich. Some say its the perfect “hangover” food, but I think its the perfect food when there isn’t anything in the house or when you just need to have breakfast for dinner. I was excited to come across this Fried Egg Sandwich recipe on the Zoe blog and even more excited to find out its from Martha Stewart (you know how I love her)!
I loved what Zoe said about this recipe, “is easily adaptable to whatever you have lying around the kitchen, so be creative!” The original recipe calls for white bread, gruyere and fontina cheese, as well as fresh oregano. I hope you enjoy this sandwich as much as I did!
Fried Egg Sandwich
Serves 2, recipe and photo courtesy of thezoeblog.
- 4 slices of bread
- 3 eggs
- splash of milk
- a few slices of white cheddar
- a few arugula leaves
- salt and pepper
- chives optional
- Prepare two sandwiches with a few slices of cheddar, some leaves of arugula, and salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with a splash of milk. Heat a pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Dip the two sandwiches into the egg mixture and let the excess drip. Pan fry the two sandwiches until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Set sandwiches aside on plates.
- Crack the two remaining eggs into the pan, until the white is set but the yolks are still runny.
- Top the sandwiches with the fried eggs and serve. Garnish with chives (optional)